Maiden Voyage

Started ramping everything up today for my U of A course. This whole concept of social networking is fascinating and scary all at once. I've had a twitter account since February, so in one way, I was a bit of an early adopter. On the other hand, I've avoided Facebook like the plague.

The twitter thing was more of a curiosity. At baseball's spring training many of the bloggers and reporters starting using twitter to feed trade rumours, provide updates, etc. I enjoy following this, so got an account and have mostly been a lurker. Never really posted anything.

Facebook. Ugggh. As a teacher/coach/administrator I just saw too many ways that this could be disastrous. Getting "tagged" in photos for all the world to see, having people hunt you down, just not my thing. So, begrudgingly, I'm out there. One friend. My wife. We'll see if I can keep it that way.

Just one last note on the creepy Facebook thing. Strange how when I signed on I had 6 pages of "suggested" friends that I could add? 6 pages! Even more strange was that I knew all of the people. Some I know well, others only in passing, but not a single stranger in the lot. How is that possible? I didn't provide facebook with access to my outlook contacts. My best guess is that these people, for whatever reason, have my email address and have unknowingly shared it with facebook. Yuck.

1 comment:

Joanne said...

Thanks, Corey. Interesting that you are already using twitter--I think this is a great example of how we can/should use these tools for our own personal interests/hobbies before we start trying to figure out how to use them in schools with our students.

I'll be interested in seeing how your thoughts change (or if they do) about Facebook. I think you will need to have more than one friend for the term in order to give it a fair shot and to be able to talk about it in the blog post about social networking! Feel free to add me and some of your classmates to increase your friend count...it is also interesting how the suggested friends come up. I think it has to do with where you live and what other kinds of personal information you put into your account. It tries to find people who have similar information and live in the same place (or that's my guess).

Welcome to the blogosphere!
Joanne

Post a Comment